In 2020 Aotearoa is in a potential global leader position on Marine Energy – and here is why:
- The NZ government declared a Climate Emergency in December 2020, including that the government will be Carbon Neutral in five years time.
- NZ has a Labour/ Green Majority Government which can make bold leadership decisions.
- The country is almost COVID free and fully operational
- NZ could set up a special economic zone for Marine Energy Testing & Development to attract overseas developers & investors
Renewable Energy Leader
- NZ already generates over 85% of its electricity from Renewable Energy.
- NZ has some of the highest wave and tidal energy potential globally, with several GW (1.5 GW in Cook Strait alone)
- Key energy consumers close to marine energy resources (Wellington, Auckland- Kaipara, Whangarei)
- NZ are born navigators and know & understand the ocean well
- NZ industry has huge offshore servicing and advanced material experience
- Kiwi Innovators can solve almost any marine related challenge
AWATEA believes that NZ can become a global leader in Marine Energy by 2030.